Monday, August 25, 2008

Why are people so unkind?

You may or may not have heard about the attack on the weekend at Curtin University. 3 aboriginal guys attacked a 35 year old female student and busted her up pretty badly.

"A Curtin University student bashed as she walked home early yesterday in an unprovoked attack broke her wrist trying to fight off her attacker.The 35-year-old woman, who only wanted to be known by her first name Vaisaali, suffered lacerations to her face, split lips, chipped teeth and bruising to both eyes in the unprovoked attack. She was attacked at 12.15am yesterday as she walked home after working at Curtin University. The attack is the latest in a series of bashings near the university's Bentley campus. Vaisaali, who suffers cerebral palsy, has described from her hospital bed at Royal Perth Hospital seeing three men at the university's bus station on Hayman Road as she approached it. The men spoke to her, asking how she was. She then noticed one of the men started to follow her before he suddenly started bashing her about 100m from the bus station. Vaisaali was hit on the face and head several times, falling to the ground in a semi-conscious state as her attacker rummaged through her jeans and jacket pockets, stealing a debit card and keys.“I said ‘look I have no money’ but still he kept on bashing me and checking my jacket. He bashed me to the point that I was unconscious on the ground and he kept on bashing," Vaisaali said. Her attacker only fled after officers in a passing St John ambulance saw the man standing over her and stopped to help. Vaisaali said she did not remember whether her attacker had said anything before he started bashing her. She only had a few dollars on her, a credit card and a mobile phone."I was really lucky that the ambulance came and he ran off. I was wearing black so no one would have noticed me lying on the path."She broke her wrist trying to defend herself. “I just thought ‘he’s bashing me for money so just give it to him but I had no money. I was trying to save my mobile in case if I’m in trouble afterwards and I needed to call somebody.”Vaisaali believes only one of the three men attacked her.The attack has left her struggling to sleep and in terrible pain as she recovers in hospital.She has called for better security at the university, particularly on the student campus and bus station.Police are today appealing for witnesses to the attack. The three men are described as dark skinned males. One wore a black and grey hooded jumper and blue jeans.Police have obtained security footage from the bus station and hope the footage will help identify the men.A WA police spokesman said that the latest attack could be linked to a series of attacks near the university.There have been five similar attacks over the past week at the university surrounds and streets. Police are appealing for public help with police operations underway around the university this week.Any information to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000."

I happen to know this lady from Uni as a fellow post grad student. She is a lovely, quiet, unassuming person, and is of small build and has cerebal palsy. There is no need to hit her if you wanted to take her stuff. There is absolutely nothing she could do to defend herself and she wouldn't even be able to escape. Hurting her is so senseless and needless.

The whole thing is very sad. That people are capable of such heartless and needlessly destructive behaviour and that she now has to overcome this abuse.

2 comments:

bek said...

I hadn't heard that report...but it's disgusting and sad.

The people who do this sort of stuff make me sick. It's such gutless behavior.

Dodgy Pete said...

Yep. They deserve our pity and compassion.

By way of addition I don't actually know the 3 guys were aboriginal, I heard that bit of info from a workmate.